Sunday, June 22, 2008

I seem to be attracted to batches of seven! So here are seven more, all color this time. 1, 2, 6, and 7 are examples of quick gesture studies in acrylic), and these are from a few years ago (I'm better at them now). But I like the movement in them and the freedom: little thought about color or value or representational accuracy; all I'm thinking about is trying to capture some essential quality about the figure. Maestro Arvie Smith calls them "warm-ups". Yes, they are the artist's calisthenics. Numbers 3, 4, and 5 are not gestures; 3 and 4 were chalk studies (copied from another artist's drawings). I'm experimenting with stylistic effects in both. 5 is taken from a photo of a renaissance sculpture (probably Michelangelo, but not David). With it, I was trying to bring the freedom of the gesture study into a quick sketch portrait. Adios, JBF.



























No comments: